Wednesday, February 25, 2015



I had an awful, awful day.


It should have started great, seeing as I had a full 8 and a half hours of sleep last night, but nope! Disaster struck almost as soon as I woke up. Or rather, didn't wake up. You'd think having gone to bed at a reasonable time would mean I would wake up bright and fresh and just totally ready for the day, but the complete opposite happened. At 730, I woke up a living zombie. I physically could not get myself out of bed, I was falling asleep sitting up. I finally dragged myself out of bed at 755 (5 minutes before I was supposed to leave). It's weird- when I don't get enough sleep, I wake up super refreshed and then gradually fall into zombie zone throughout the day, but it's the opposite when I do get enough sleep. I wake up totally unable to function, but then as the day progresses I find myself more and more awake, happy, and productive.

That's what happened today. I was a slow, slow morning zombie and I was late to school because I missed my bus. Even so, I was feeling pretty good by 9. I had finally fully woken up by then, and it was just such a beautiful feeling. It was like a fog had lifted. I forgot what it was like to be able to function normally. This happiness promptly disappeared when I got to school. The guy who normally drives me to my internship from school was out sick, and my new bus driver didn't know where she was going. At all. I had to direct her the whole way, but to be honest, I didn't really know where I was going either. I just kind of guessed, and at 11, after a very stressful bus ride in which we narrowly avoided a crash three times, I finally made it to my internship.

The first part of the day kind of passed in a blur. I did all my normal internship stuff, ate lunch, and packed up just in time for 2pm to roll up. And then 2:30. And then 3. And then 4. And then 4:30.

The Head of Transportation at my school totally forgot to tell the new bus driver she had to pick me up too, not just drop me off. So I was stranded at my internship for two and a half hours. Just waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I couldn't even do any homework because there wasn't an internet connection. I just played games on my phone for what seemed like forever. Finally my driver showed up, but that's not where the trouble ended- once I got back to school (at 5:30), I had to find a way home. I live kinda far from my school, and the next bus that headed that way came at 6. It was freezing outside, so I waited in a nearby Wendy's, but that was kind of worse because I was starving and I had no money. (I had spent it all on poptarts from a vending machine when I was waiting for those 2 and a half hours earlier).

When the bus came, I took it to the airport near my house, where my grandfather picked me up (after I waited for 20 minutes). He was in a god-awful mood, and we basically argued the whole way to my house- which I got to at 7pm, by the way. By that time I was in such a bad mood I couldn't focus on any work. I just wanted to relax. So I got barely any work (besides this) done.


Okay, I have to admit something. I wrote this loooong description of my day because I'm trying to postpone the part where I tell you I once again forgot to do my stress-reduction routine (big surprise). I'm working on it, I promise! I did drink a lot of water (I have to pee right now), and I started to get more sleep. I have to say, that 8+ hours really helped me. Yes, I was stressed today, and yes, I was grumpy, but if I had my normal amount of sleep (5 hours on average), I would have been far more stressed and grumpy. Getting sleep and drinking water seems to be the key to good health! Lesson learned.

 I would add in what I thought about when I got distracted while writing this, but I didn't get distracted! Not even once. Sleep and water are also the key to good focusing skills, apparently. Speaking of sleep and water, I'm gonna go now. I have to pee, and it's midnight, which means I've already blown my chance to have 8+ hours of sleep. I guess 7 will have to do. It's better than 5. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment